Neighborhood Program Eligibility
The La Crosse Promise Neighborhood Program is designed for any qualifying homeowners or home buyers who have the financial ability to renovate their current home, buy and renovate an existing house, purchase a new spec home, or purchase a lot and build a new home. Once the home is complete and other requirements are met, we will award up to $50,000 in scholarships sent in increments to the accredited college of choice.
For those families who would like to use the scholarship for dependent children, the intended student cannot be in high school before the move-in date. The family must stay in the home for at least four years to qualify for child scholarships.
We are currently accepting applications for families that build, buy, or renovate a single-family home within specific neighborhoods. The family must contribute a minimum of $175,000 in a new construction project investment through personal resources or market-rate financing; or a minimum of $30,000 personal investment in renovation of a home owned by the family. The total maximum lifetime scholarship for an individual student is $25,000. The maximum lifetime amount awarded to a family is $50,000. The scholarship may be used at any accredited public or private college in the United States. Adults who are on the deed of the home, as well as dependent children (not yet in high school), are eligible for the scholarship award.
The Carlson Family
See how the La Crosse Promise Neighborhood Program benefited the Carlson family. Click Here to see their story.
The Caucutt Family
The Caucutt family talks about how the La Crosse Promise Neighborhood Program helped them renovate their existing home in the PPH neighborhoods. Click Here to see their story.
The Burke Family
Kyle Burke talks about how the La Crosse Neighborhood Program helped provide scholarship money to assist in his son’s education. Click Here to see their story.
How it Works
BUILD A NEW HOUSE*
- Meet with a lender to get pre-qualified for the lot and construction loan
- Request a Build Family application from La Crosse Promise
- Choose a lot (if available)
- Submit the La Crosse Promise application for approval
- Choose or develop a house plan
- Obtain a cost estimate
- Purchase the lot
- Submit a copy of the contractor bid
- Complete project within one year
- Live in the home for at least four years (for child scholars), or one year (for adult scholars)
RENOVATE AN EXISTING HOUSE
- Meet with a lender to get pre-qualified for a construction loan request
- Request a Renovate Family application from La Crosse Promise
- Talk to contractors and obtain a cost estimate
- Submit an application and intentions for the renovation to La Crosse Promise
- After receiving our approval, begin renovations and complete project within one year
- Live in the home for at least four years (for child scholars), or one year (for adult scholars).
*You also have the option to buy a new spec scholarship home listed for sale. Once you purchase the home, you have 60 days after closing to apply for the scholarship.